10 Stages Of Effective Digital Media Planning
In today’s cutting-edge transition from traditional medium to digital, marketing has significantly witnessed better results and phenomenal appreciation. However, due to its versatile and delicate qualities, the need for a well-versed plan of action has reached to maximum priority.
The role of a marketer has gained prominence, combined with inevitable responsibility, yet providing a platform to display their creativity in planning a successful campaign. Thus, the rigidity in the strategy, and profound knowledge in carrying out a digital marketing campaign is an ever-growing demand.
Nonetheless, to master the vast digital probabilities and to market effectively through the ample possibilities requires a deep in-sight.
“We often felt the necessity to list out a few practices that could direct those in need of a stringent and effective strategy layout. Here are our suggestions that only experience and proficiency helped us acquire.”
Stage 1: The Plan
This stage is typically characterized by intelligent articulation of ideas by the team who come from varied backgrounds, bringing in more than 70 years of experience between themselves. Not to be overlooked as merely a basic step, planning is crucial to successful implementation of the overall strategy.
If you have read Edward de Bono’s ‘Six thinking hats’; this is where you will find his theories beneficial. Have a comprehensive objective and well-determined goals before you plan to include other elements of the strategy. Expect your audience and their response to your message; explore the diversity of direct and indirect targeting. Strategize your program – include or exclude the common variants – that best suit to your advantage. Decide whether your strategy is digital or if it is an integrated one, this allows you to plan the budget, sequentially launch the campaign, and predict desired results.
Concerning the marketing team by far, this helps them to adroitly design the campaign and duly assign professionals on to different tasks.
Dedication at this stage is the only fuel to keep the fire burning. Look at the decisive prospects from conflicting perceptions; self-criticize, scrutinize, and sense your ideas. Research and speculate the different marketing modes of the peer marketers. Think out of the box and differentiate yourself from the marketing trends by endorsing niche techniques. Hinges do occur in the initial stages of the planning but stay focused and keep up the motivation.
Stage 2: The Audience
Know your audience: build a strategy around them, and success is imminent. Research through public relations has evidently brought yielding results. This helps our product/organization connect emotionally with the people. Sporadic yet recurring surveys add up to the overall audience targeting. Digital marketing has proven its worthiness by reaching masses yet conveying the message personally. Though this strategy may seem prudent, the outcome is sometimes uncertain.
For instance, if you are to market a book that most appeals to the adolescents, the research, and survey conducted gives ample websites where you can promote. Nevertheless, there is much possibility to market through a website that you have not come across in the research such as a music video channel. In such cases, you should opt for a keyword-based tool to keep a track on your audiences.
To conclude; you have to keenly consider demographics, time of the year/ time of the day, and geography. The campaign might slowly grow on your audience but you get to witness remarkable success. A worthwhile marketing leaves a mark: remember most of the people in our India ask for ‘Zandu Balm’ and not for a ‘pain relief balm’.
Stage 3: The Research
The digital marketing research is an expedition that educates us on the dynamics of online marketing. You tend to discover more and more opportunities as you keep conducting your probe in this regard. You will come across case studies, guidelines, marketing platforms, marketing tools, competitors, existing survey determinants, and many more. This tailor-made information helps us to continue our venture in structuring a thorough budget. It allows us to consult professionals through social media such as discussions on LinkedIn or Facebook groups. This acts as an impetus to the overall construction of a steady flow.
Stage 4: The Track and Report
The best advantage of digital marketing is its real-time tracking that allows the marketer to keep a record of the audience response. Digital marketing tools instantly produce the results that direct us to invest in the right platform. This encourages us to explore new possibilities.
Here are a few tracking/ report tricks:
- A/B testing: This allows the advertisers to compare the results of two web components. Thus, intimates to change the call of action or adopt new platform that increase the conversion rates.
- Pricing for online media: This is determined by the effectiveness of the advertisement, budget restriction, and the nature of the advertisement.
- CPA – (Cost per acquisition) works best when there is a budget limitation or the advertiser wishes to pay only for the sale made through the ad. This aids in managing the risk possibility.
- CPC – (Cost per click) is an advantage to those who desire to pay for the traffic generated through their ad. This is real-time auction strategy where the advertiser/marketer pays for the website with maximum traffic through online payment methods. However, this is not preferred due to the unpredictable nature of the advertisement.
- CPM – (Cost per thousand) is a popular method on demand. The risk is negligible as the advertiser pays for a thousand visitors or impressions.
- Frequency Capping: This avoids re-counting a visitor who has clicked on the same advertisement several times. There is accuracy in tracking the number of impressions.
- Programmatic Buying: This automated online buying option helps the advertiser buy/sell unlike the manual negotiations and insertions.
- Retargeting: it is a process where the surfer is tracked all through his/her browsing session with the help cookie-based technology. A persistent display of advertisement is carried throughout all the websites they browse.
- Tracking URLs: this is a unique tool, which provides results from different surfers. The data collected can vary from the website that is carrying the advertisement to the conversions rates or even the keywords used to search. This helps in administering the success of the campaign and advises you to incorporate ‘Search Engine Optimization’ if the report demands.
- Viewable Impressions: This allows you to track your advertisements that are seen or clicked. Unlike the regular ‘impressions’ this option produces accurate results. For example, it so occurs sometimes where the ad is placed in the webpage and is not viewable due to its position or size. In such cases, this medium provides precise information on the advertisement(s)’s feasibility.
- Web Analytics: This process enables you to collect analysis on the web-based marketing you opted for. The data collected is henceforth applicable to design your strategy. It provides you with the number of visitors, views, outcome of the campaign et cetera. The web host generally recommends a few web analytics program out which the commonly used is Google analytics.
To begin marketing is to end impatience. The nature of marketing itself is to consume time to grow reputation. Due to instantaneous updates through tracking tools, the strategy may seem unyielding in the beginning; keep calm and wait for it to grow in the market; let your strategy create a mark of its own.
Stage 5: The Optimization
Optimization is a trending marketing enhancement tool in the digital world. The real-time tracking enables the marketer to calculate and analyse the metrics obtained, and helps to modify or transform the strategy.
Optimization augments cost-effectiveness and time-efficiency; though optimization does not demand the right situation to implement but works wonders if done, basing on the analytics. Basic optimization involves re-working on the visual, content, and the linking pages. On the other hand reconsidering the target audience, web pages, and behavioural tactics fall under full-optimization.
This niche technique proves to stand out from the regular and those that fail. Besides invigorating existing strategies, optimization saves huge time and investment.
Stage 6: The Execution
Incorporate creativity into the dynamics of web-based marketing. Sprinkle some unique ideas all over your lack-lustre campaign in addition to optimization and discover the depths of online marketing. So far, internet is the only medium that permits limitless creative campaigning. Recognize your objective and decorate the possibilities of it by sketching strategies (strengthened with ideas, target-audience, and research). Give the poor thing some space for itself: Wait for the campaign to grow on your audience, if not, there is much room for a quick intelligent revamp. Do not fancy one-shot-go, remember STAY HUNGRY, STAY FOOLISH.
Stage 7: The Mix-Match
Digital and traditional mediums are the same – in the sense – their traits. Digital marketing replicates newspapers, direct mail, TV, hoardings, and radio. However, the impact that digital mediums create are much responsive than traditional media. The various terminals allow creativity to pierce its way through and initiate a call for action. Strategy integration improves the loudness of your message, and some technology synchronization (basic and fell-optimization) helps your product/ service rise and shine. Embark upon the myriad of digital marketing mediums and couple them with your creative marketing strategies. Embrace whatever may be the outcome and re-shoot with betterment.
Stage 8: The Vigilance
You have all the possibilities of losing potential customers if you do not plan your strategy ahead. For instance, you are going to launch an event; except for buy-the-ticket option, you have provided all the relevant information of the event on a social networking page. The web link that you mentioned does not direct to the ‘buy-the-ticket’ page and only lands the customers on to your website. In addition to this, the website’s browsing-experience is a bit tiring or convoluted. The customer simply leaves the page and seeks for other options. (Nevertheless, you are advertising your sponsors on that particular page) The gist of the B2B is lost when such situations occur.
To make sure the things are in its place: try out the campaign wearing the shoes of a customer. Avoid vague strategies and stay vigilant to identify nuances.
Stage 9: The Budgeting
Practice clear and consistent utility management. Ensure that the budget and resources are in accordance to your plans. Loose ends can cost you decent time and money. Loyal resources play an important role in digital marketing; hence, employ only trusted and potential associates that can generate predictable results. Pay close attention to the terms and flexibility of the agreement before you close the deal. Understand the technicality involved and do not encourage ambiguous statements before you agree upon anything in black and white.
Stage 10: The Learning
There is nothing so shy away from being educated everyday especially when you are into marketing. Go through forums, open-up your perceptions, learn the new age marketing trends, follow your peers’ campaigns, and have the greed to gain knowledge. Research is definitely going to prove its worth, and so does putting your ideas into practice. Hold discussions, have brainstorming sessions to stay in the groove, and encourage new possibilities.
In the next article we will talk about the best practices for effective digital media planning.
Any questions on digital media planning? Our digital advertising experts can answer them for you.